Scoliosis is commonly seen in children, and is an abnormal sideways curve of the spine. If it isn't caught early enough, it can worsen with age and lead to significant back pain and eventually arthritis in the spine. We want your children to grow up to be strong, healthy adults and that's why it is so important for us to teach you to be aware of the signs of scoliosis.
Check Your Child's Spine
Starting around the age of eight, you should begin to check your child's spine for scoliosis. You can do this either in your home or at our practice. If you choose to check at home, follow these steps:
1. Have your child bend over at the waist. Stand behind him or her and look at the curve of the spine. This is called Adam’s test for scoliosis. Your child's back should have a smooth curve. Be sure to also check their rib cage on both sides as they bend forward. If you notice that their rib cage is bulging more on one side than the other, notify his or her doctor.
2. Have your child stand up straight and check for the following:
- Does the spine look curved?
- Is one of their hips higher than the other?
- Is one shoulder higher than the other?
If you answered yes to these questions, there may be an issue. If you believe your child may be showing signs of scoliosis, we are happy to help. By finding scoliosis early, you will find better management and outcomes. Schedule an appointment for your child today!