The holiday season has just begin, meaning many of us are preparing for holiday travel to visit family and friends. While we can't wait to see our loved ones, the stress and strains of travel are not something to look forward to. Traveling is only worse for those already suffering from back and neck pain, and holiday travel can be a particularly stressful and painful time. We’ve put together some tips on how to minimize that pain.
1. When traveling by car, many of us pack a cooler for snacks and drinks. Put an extra ice pack in the cooler, and whenever you feel the pain coming on, apply it to your back for about 20 minutes.
2. Plan a few extra pit stops into your route and you can get out and stretch or do some light exercises. If you are suffering from low back pain, be sure to stretch your hamstrings at least two times per day.
3. If you are the passenger and there is room, stretch out in the back seat for a short period of time. If your back pain is too unbearable, your body will appreciate the opportunity to lie down and rest.
4. Pack your travel relaxation essentials: a neck pillow, eye mask, and ear plugs. Sleeping in a car, plane, or train can be difficult, so make it as easy as possible to relax and take a nap. Your body could use some much needed refreshment and back pain relief.
5. Come in for an adjustment the week of your departure and the week of your return. This will have your spine aligned and in the best shape possible so you can maximize your holiday enjoyment.
For more suggestions to help with holiday travel, ask at your next chiropractic appointment, or give us a call!